Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Overworked or Impatient

I recently watched a news brief highlighting certain behavioral patterns among the French culture. This survey stated that on average, the French (in France, not here) tend to sleep 9 hours a night and dine for a minimum of 2 hours a day. This adds up to 11 hours a day of "me" time. I can't remember the last time I slept 9 hours in a row....I'm lucky to have a combined total of 9 hours in a two day time period. As for relaxing enough to sit and have two hour meals.....the French must not have to eat at their desk while multitasking. Most internal documents received from colleagues now-a-days have some sort of coffee ring or food spill on the edge highlighting the fact that I am not alone in the "eat as you work" crowd. I feel envious of the French - I too want to sleep a full night and dine with friends for hours. How do we get there? What would it take for our society to shift gears so dramatically and prioritize this "me" time over "corporate" time? Are we an overworked society or do we not truly understand the addage of "work smart, not hard" and the French have it figured out? Or are the French just lazy........LOL.......

2 comments:

  1. I am actually surprised that only 2 hours is allocated to dining. They actually eat lunch, and dinner is usually a big deal, beginning no earlier than 7PM. I grew up in a family that retained its Quebecois culture, and Sunday dinner (lunch) was often a 3 hour affair which involved eating followed by hours of sitting and debating. Most French people that I know are most decidedly NOT lazy (yes, I know that you meant that in jest). Americans often have bizarre stereotypes, but French business people tend, in my experience, to be very formal and businesslike. They all just have their priorities straight in this regard. Should we talk about 5 weeks of vacation? :-)
    bonne journée!
    Adrien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Adrien. I really admire the "eating lunch and dinner is usually a big deal" mentality!

    ReplyDelete