Thursday, June 30, 2011

To + or not to +...that's the question, or is it?

Google + ..... I have mixed emotions about this one. On one hand, I certainly LOVE all things Google. In fact, if Google and Apple had a love child it would be me. Oh, and Tivo would be a really close friend of mine as well! All kidding aside, I admire so many of Google's products and platforms but do I really need another social platform? I have so much "time" invested in Facebook, I don't think I will abandon it. Perhaps if I can work out some sort of syndication between Google+ and Facebook, then I could update both social sites. I'm not sure I will maintain both sites, what's the point?

Competition is good. Facebook crushed My_____ (ridiculous logo)....but will Google stand a chance again Facebook now? Timing is everything, do you think it is too little too late? I suppose if the Google+ platform can significantly impact search engine rankings then the product will begin perking up my ears a lot! Perhaps dangling this search carrot in front of us will encourage the transition from Facebook to Google+. Time will tell. Goodness knows Google has the money to throw at this project.

There is rumor of an internal Google memo in which a senior exec warned that the company was behind in social networking and needed to catch up fast. Later, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt acknowledged that the company had "screwed up" when it came to social and the threat from Facebook. Is it too late for serious competition for Facebook? Even it if is coming from the juggernaut that is Google? My synopsis - I am interested, intrigued even.....and ready to get my +Circles going. You?

1 comment:

  1. I dont think its too late at all .. I am intrigued by this Google + project, and I look forward to trying it out!

    ReplyDelete